UnDiet_729x90

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A new take on stuffed peppers


Stuffed peppers with Indian spices



I saved a recipe in my 'to make soon' folder a while ago but never got around to trying it.  Last night, I had another look at it and decided to make a version of it.  I have no idea where I found the recipe (somewhere online) because I only saved the text.
So here's what I did...

Chop some Yukon Gold potatoes and bring to a boil in salted water.  Meanwhile, heat some virgin coconut oil in a pan.  Add cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.  Fry until fragrant (1 minute).  Add chopped onion and fry for another few mins. until onion softens.

onions and spices in coconut oil

Add some sliced Thai bird chiles and fry for a few more seconds.  I prefer to add the chiles after the onions have softened because if I add them earlier, the heat from the chiles just makes me cough!



 
Onions, spices and chiles in coconut oil

Add one bunch of thinly sliced Swiss chard and stir-fry just until the chard has wilted.  Add salt to taste.



Swiss chard added to the pan

Drain potatoes, lightly smash, adding some turmeric and salt to taste and add to the pan with the chard and other ingredients.

 
Potatoes mixed in with the other ingredients


Taste the whole mixture once again for seasoning.  Remove the tops of the peppers and clean out the seeds and membrane.  Stuff the peppers with the potato mixture and put into a baking dish.



Peppers ready to go into the oven

Put the peppers into a preheated 400F oven.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until peppers are slightly softened (we prefer them with a little bit of a crunch) and potato filling is golden.  Remove from oven.



Peppers out of the oven

Serve with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese on top.  This step isn't necessary, but it did taste pretty yummy!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean