UnDiet_729x90

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Lao Salad

Lao Salad (my version)


I made this salad for dinner last night.  I played around with a recipe from "Asian Salads" by Vatcharin Bhumichitr. 
Here's what I did...

Place some chopped romaine lettuce (original called for whole lettuce leaves) on plates.  Top with thinly sliced English cucumber and sliced orange bell peppers (original called for 1 red and 1 green).


Meanwhile, soft-boil some eggs (original called for hard-boiled).  While the eggs are boiling, make the dressing.  Put some extra-lean ground turkey (original called for pork) in a pan with 3 tablespoons hot water, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 3 teaspoons coconut nectar (original called for sugar), 2 thinly sliced Thai bird chilies, 3 tablespoons lime juice and one minced garlic clove (original called for garlic oil).  Sauté until the turkey is cooked all the way through.  Stir in one tablespoon olive oil (not in the original).  Pour this on top of the salad and top with some chopped, roasted peanuts.  Peel the eggs and cut in half and place one on top of each plate. 

 

It was supposed to be garnished with fresh coriander which I totally forgot (grrrrr, as it's my favourite).  This dish was really delicious and I'll definitely be making it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean