UnDiet_729x90

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Mussels with Cornbread




I made these last weekend.  We usually have mussels about once every other month (more often in the summer) and I generally prepare them this way.  I don't have a recipe, but here's more or less what I do...

Sauté sliced or chopped onion (I usually use about 1/2 a large Spanish onion), about 10 cloves minced garlic and a few sliced Thai bird (or jalapeno) chilies.  If I don't have fresh chilies I'll just use some red pepper flakes.  Add about 3/4 cup white wine and bring to a simmer.  Add salt and pepper to taste and then add the cleaned mussels.  Turn the burner up to high and stir the mussels around so that they're all coated by the liquid.  Put a lid on the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring about every minute.  Once they're all open, they're done.




I usually serve this with slices of crusty baguette but I decided to make cornbread for a change.  The cornbread recipe was one I found online, to which I added 1 tsp. cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick.  It was pretty good and the leftovers went with a vegetarian chili a couple of evenings later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean