UnDiet_729x90

Monday, March 22, 2010

Kale Chips - Take two :-)


I first attempted these kale chips last November.
They were really good, but a bit salty for our tastes.  I had read all about how yummy they were on all sorts of raw food blogs and knew I wanted to try them since Perry and I both love kale.  I think the mistake I made last time was to throw everything in together and mix it around, rather than whisking the lemon juice, olive oil, seasoning and salt together until the salt dissolved.  I made sure to do this today and they taste fantastic.  They're so lemony and a little bit spicy. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm doing a 5 day low GI challenge and these chips are actually one of the recommended snacks!  I figured that was a sign that I should make another attempt at them.  I'm glad I did :-)
Here's what I did...

I put some lemon juice, olive oil and Celtic sea salt into a large bowl.

 Added some cayenne pepper (we like spicy snacks) and whisked the whole mixture until the salt dissolved completely.

 Mixed the washed, dried and torn kale around in the bowl with my hands until it was well-coated.  Laid it out on parchment-lined baking sheets and baked at 255F for about 30 mins., then turned and baked for another 15 mins.

Removed from the sheets and cooled on paper towels.


 ***Update***


I decided to try making these chips with Swiss Chard and they worked out perfectly.  The Swiss Chard was a lot easier to work with than the kale as the leaves are flatter.  


I wonder what other leafy greens would work??!!! 

 Not the best picture, but this was the finished product

2 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe !!! You have a wonderful collection!! Would love to try this some day !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pedhakka,
    Thanks for the comment! I think you would enjoy the kale chips. I'm looking forward to trying them with other spices too! When I made them previously, I used hot smoked paprika which was wonderful because of the smokiness...almost like bbq flavoured potato chips :-)
    p.s. I had a look at your blog and your recipes look great!

    ReplyDelete

The Lean Green Bean