UnDiet_729x90

Monday, July 26, 2010

Beet Chips




There's not much of a recipe to this. I just decided the other day that since we enjoy kale chips so much, perhaps there was a way to make beets into chips. We like beets, but there are only so many ways we've tried to prepare them. I made cookies with them last week (I promise to share that recipe soon), I juice them all the time, occasionally roast them, but this was something new. They turned out so much better than I had hoped, so I'll make them again for sure. I baked them, but some of them were getting a little brown and others weren't yet crisp, so I finished them off in the dehydrator. Next time, I'd like to try only using the dehydrator.

Here's what I did...

Scrubbed and halved a beet, then sliced it thinly with my mandoline.


Arranged the slices on 2 baking sheets, lined with parchment. Sprayed with a little olive oil and sprinkled with Celtic sea salt.


Baked at 375F for 20 mins., turned them all over and baked for a further 20 mins. Removed to the dehydrator and dried them for about an hour. Delicious!!


2 comments:

  1. We are growing beets this year (along with a dozen other veg/fruit and we're going to be incredibly overrun!) and I've been looking at beet recipes trying to change it up a little! The kids love beets, so maybe they will love these, too! I don't have a dehydrator but will give it a try, thanks Deb! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    They're fab. done in the oven, just watch them as they burn easily. I caught them just in time, but as I mentioned some weren't crisp enough yet. If you have a fairly even oven, you'll probably do fine without a dehydrator. I'd make them again the same way regardless as they're sooo yummy :-)
    Take care,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

The Lean Green Bean