UnDiet_729x90

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Black Bean and Roasted Beet Salad
 
 


I found a bag of golden beets on clearance at a local grocery store yesterday.  They inspired me to make this salad as I remembered I had a couple of small red beets in the fridge.  I didn't use a recipe, so measurements are approximate.
Here's what I did...
 
 I washed and trimmed the ends of a golden beet and a red beet.  Then I diced them and placed on a baking sheet.  Sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Baked at 400F for about 25 mins.(until tender)
 
 Into a large bowl, I added the juice of half a lemon, about 3 times that amount of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt and a few grindings of black pepper
Added about a teaspoon of ground chipotle powder
 
 I whisked the dressing ingredients and added 1/2 an onion, diced and a large red Sheppard pepper, diced
 
 Added 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
 
 Tossed in a can of rinsed and drained black beans
 
 Tossed in the roasted beets
 
 And served it with a fish fillet (sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning and baked)

1 comment:

  1. As our gardens wind down for the season, I have a few left over beets that I hate to waste! Now I know what to do with them, and I love cilantro, too, so this is going to be awesome! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

The Lean Green Bean