UnDiet_729x90

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Red Lentil and Wheat Berry Snacks
 
 
 
I'm always on the lookout for tasty snacks that are also good for us and was thrilled to come across this wonderful recipe.
I love red lentils and I'm crazy about Indian spices, so these really fit the bill when it comes to yummy yet nutritious snacks.
Here's what I did...

Melted some coconut oil and added chopped onion

Added cumin seeds, ground coriander, garam masala and chili flakes (I didn't actually have chili flakes, so I just crumbled up some dried chilies)
 
 Sautéed the onions and spices for a few minutes and then added some minced garlic

Added cooked wheat berries

And cooked red lentils

Decided it wasn't spicy enough or colorful enough, so added cayenne and turmeric and mixed it all together then refrigerated the mix overnight

On one plate I poured some white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds

On another I poured some chia seeds (Perry's brilliant idea!)

I rolled some of the golf ball-sized scoops in the sesame mixture, some in the chia seeds and left some naked

Baked them (on a parchment-lined cookie sheet) for 30 minutes at 400F, turning after 15 minutes.  Served with tamarind chutney.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean