UnDiet_729x90

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spicy Shrimp with Okra


This was dinner for Perry and me last Saturday night.  Krestan had few friends over for a sleepover, so they were doing their own thing for dinner.
The shrimp was just sprinkled with a homemade Cajun spice blend (recipe follows) and then sautéed in coconut oil for a minute or so each side.  I served the meal with quinoa which had been cooked with onions, garlic, cayenne, Celtic sea salt and lemon juice.
I made the okra similar to the way my Sister's friend Priscilla taught me when she was visiting from B.C. a couple of summers ago.  It's fairly simple, but absolutely delicious!!
Here's what I did...

I sliced some onions and green chilies and chopped some garlic (Priscilla pounded the 3 in a mortar)

 Washed and chopped some okra

 Sautéed the onions, garlic and chilies in coconut oil for a few minutes

 Added the okra and continued to sauté, stirring gently until cooked (about 25 minutes), then seasoned with Celtic sea salt

 About 5 minutes before the okra was done, I sprinkled some shrimp (peeled and deveined) with Cajun seasoning

 Sautéed in coconut oil for a minute or so each side, until pink

 Served the shrimp atop the quinoa, with a lemon wedge on the side

Cajun Seasoning 

1/4 cup Celtic sea salt
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika (smoked is nice)
1/4 cup garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder (not salt)
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lean Green Bean