UnDiet_729x90

Monday, March 18, 2013

Chickpea Crackers with Chives



I came across this recipe a few weeks ago and knew I had to try it.  We've pretty much cut grains out of our diet, so I've really been missing crackers.  I have a fantastic recipe for crackers made from seeds that I use often, but sometimes I just crave a cracker that actually tastes like a cracker.  This one really fit the bill.  The only thing I'd do differently next time is to roll them very slightly thinner.  Other than that, they're my perfect cracker because they're crunchy and tasty but not overwhelming, so they're the perfect base for dips and spreads.

Here's what I did...

 I sifted 1 cup of besan (chickpea flour) into a large bowl


I added 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast

Then I added 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt, 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

I stirred in 2 tsps. of extra-virgin olive oil and a few tbsps. water and then started to mix it with my hands until it all came together.  Then I kneaded it for a couple of minutes, rolled it into a ball and covered with plastic wrap.  I let it rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.  

I removed it from the fridge and broke the dough into 4 pieces.  I put one piece on the counter top which I'd sprinkled with more besan.  Then I sprinkled a little more on top and rolled it out to 1/4" thickness (next time I'll do it a bit thinner).  

Then I cut them into little shapes and placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  I repeated with all of the pieces of dough.  Then I baked them in a 350F oven for 20 minutes.  

Then I removed them from the oven and let them cool.  I considered adding more chives, but was worried it would make them too moist.  I don't think that's a problem, so I may do that next time too.  Tiny pieces of sundried tomato might be a nice addition too.

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing! I might have to give these a try. What do you think about adding cumin seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be an excellent idea. I also think cracked black pepper would be nice.

    ReplyDelete

The Lean Green Bean